Project Aiko
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» introducing the cyberpunk software design pattern
Making Aiko's parts EmptyTue Aug 15, 2023 1:57 am by japlu

» LG book updates
Making Aiko's parts EmptyTue Mar 21, 2023 5:54 pm by japlu

» LivinGrimoire swift version added
Making Aiko's parts EmptySat Jul 23, 2022 9:55 pm by japlu

» the living grimoire is now available in python as well
Making Aiko's parts EmptyTue May 03, 2022 9:03 am by japlu

» livingrimoire auxiliary modules
Making Aiko's parts EmptyMon Apr 25, 2022 4:51 pm by japlu

» [Python] Thinkable class
Making Aiko's parts EmptyTue Apr 05, 2022 7:11 pm by japlu

» owly check this out
Making Aiko's parts EmptyTue Mar 22, 2022 5:03 pm by japlu

» the living grimoire AGI
Making Aiko's parts EmptyTue Mar 22, 2022 4:35 pm by japlu

» Cherry Blossom Technology Launch!!!
Making Aiko's parts EmptySat Mar 25, 2017 10:42 am by BlueSodaX

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Making Aiko's parts

4 posters

Go down

Making Aiko's parts Empty Making Aiko's parts

Post  nick11380 Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:15 am

Would something like this work for making Aiko's parts?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1874396831/eventorbot-open-source-3d-printer

nick11380

Back to top Go down

Making Aiko's parts Empty Re: Making Aiko's parts

Post  Discoman Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:33 am

This is just my guess, but I would guess Aiko and Aiko 2 are made primarily of metal. Really, the only options to 'print' parts for Aiko and Aiko 2 would be Selective Laser Sintering, Direct metal Laser Sintering, or Electron beam melting, along with another machine I cannot remember the name of that bonds stainless steel powder with adhesive to create 3d parts.
And the adhesive bonded parts require a base metal to be melted into the part-the glues stainless steel falls apart from just finger pressure.
Of course, parts could also be made on multi-dimension milling machines, flat parts could be cut with a waterjet, and other such ways.
Working with metal requires much more expensive machinery than doing the equivalent job in plastic.
Discoman
Discoman
Admin

http://blogofthehawk.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nick11380 Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:30 am

While metal would be the strongest it might not be the best material to use, since it’s very heavy and difficult and expensive to make custom metal parts. I don’t know how strong the resin in these 3D printers are but plastic is a lot lighter than metal and can be stronger than human bones.

There really isn’t a need for Aiko to have super human strength so she doesn’t need a strong metal skeleton with powerful hydraulics (like the terminator). Even making her with plastic parts she could still be made to be much stronger than people.

A 3D printer would also be an inexpensive way to design, make and test Aiko’s parts. Then the parts could always be taken to be custom made out of metal later once the finished design is made and if it’s a part that would be better if it was made of metal.

Here's another printer that might be better.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/formlabs/form-1-an-affordable-professional-3d-printer

nick11380

Back to top Go down

Post  Discoman Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:17 am

I would like to see what material the form 1 printer is using. Most home printers use PLA plastics, while some also use ABS.
The problem with most plastics is their lack of deformation. While they would be great for applications where minimal strain is placed on them, such as the joints where her head attaches to her body, most plastics are not a good choice for any part that receives any strain.
For neck joints and other friction surfaces, plastics like PTFE would be ideal, as they can take some strain, but provide a low-friction surface for parts to move on.
For limbs though, plastics lack a lot of the durability of metals. While plastics break with minimal force, they also tend to have no elongation-they snap, instead of bending. With the exception of very hard metals, such as those ultra-high-carbon steels used in expensive knives, most metals will stretch and deform long before they break, and also have a much greater resistance to breaking.
However, metal weighs more and depending on the metal, can cost quite a lot more, although I doubt that Aiko V2 would be made of Inconel or Nimonic.
Attached is a link to a table comparing relative strengths of materials in Young's Modules http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/young-modulus-d_417.html
Online Metals sells 4130 Steel, which is a good compromise between regular mild steels and tool steels, spring steels, and ultra-high-carbon steels for $20 for a two foot long one inch thick round bar. However, 6061 T6 Aluminum in a one inch thick round bar two feet long is $8.42. 6061 T6 is one of the most common structural Aluminum alloys, and has over twice the Su of 6063 T5, but half the Su and Sy of aerospace alloys, but 6061 T6 can be pretty easily welded, and that is really a big advantage to that over aerospace alloys.
Although there are also the true exotics, such as carbon, glass, and kevlar reinforced plastic resins, although those require some experience to get the most out of them.

In the end, I would guess that all options within reason and constraints are being considered, and what will be used is what seems best for the application.
Discoman
Discoman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Artilects rule! Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:34 am

OMG!
This place is SO dead if this is the last conversation.
Aren't you two both moderators?
What have you got to moderate now?

You acted like you were trying to get rid of me before.
Since there is nobody to talk to there is no reason to post here so I'm leaving!

Artilects rule!

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilda Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:33 pm

Maybe one possible soluction is using a metal and plastic combination. Metal for hard parts and plastic for soft ones, just like heavy and soft bones.

Sorry about my absence, but I am really spending 16 hours a day studying ( master program) and working... Not too much time for fun.

I believe Trung is experiencing the same problem.
Gilda
Gilda

Back to top Go down

Post  Discoman Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:14 am

Gilda wrote:Maybe one possible soluction is using a metal and plastic combination. Metal for hard parts and plastic for soft ones, just like heavy and soft bones.

Sorry about my absence, but I am really spending 16 hours a day studying ( master program) and working... Not too much time for fun.

I believe Trung is experiencing the same problem.

Might work. I have a feeling most plastics would be things like those high density plastics used commonly in moving parts. Like teflon and HDPE (I think) which would both make a really good material for plenty of the internal structure of the head, neck, etc. But, if Aiko 2 is to walk, then limbs and whatever is in her torso probably needs to be metal. Heck, I wonder what her skeletal system/internal structure looks like.

Yeah, busy people tends to be few posts. No need to apologize.
And it isn't like Aiko is the most well known of any Gynoid or Android.
People tend to think of Actroid and Geminoid first. I'd bet V2 will change that. Part of it may just be that a new Gynoid and Actroid get created every so often, but it has been some time since Aiko 1 was built.

And nobody was trying to get rid of Artilects. And it is nice not really having to moderate anything (with a couple exceptions actually.)
Discoman
Discoman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Artilects rule! Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:15 am

And nobody was trying to get rid of Artilects. And it is nice not really having to moderate anything (with a couple exceptions actually.)
Just passing by.
What's that supposed to mean?! Mad

Artilects rule!

Back to top Go down

Post  Discoman Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:43 pm

Artilects rule! wrote:
Just passing by.
What's that supposed to mean?! Mad
Two unrelated comments, addressing two different points.
With so little happening at all, the amount of moderator actions taken has been zero, apart from moving one thread that was in the wrong section.

Discoman
Discoman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down