Project Aiko
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» introducing the cyberpunk software design pattern
Keeping Aiko cool - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 15, 2023 1:57 am by japlu

» LG book updates
Keeping Aiko cool - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 21, 2023 5:54 pm by japlu

» LivinGrimoire swift version added
Keeping Aiko cool - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 23, 2022 9:55 pm by japlu

» the living grimoire is now available in python as well
Keeping Aiko cool - Page 2 EmptyTue May 03, 2022 9:03 am by japlu

» livingrimoire auxiliary modules
Keeping Aiko cool - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 25, 2022 4:51 pm by japlu

» [Python] Thinkable class
Keeping Aiko cool - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2022 7:11 pm by japlu

» owly check this out
Keeping Aiko cool - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2022 5:03 pm by japlu

» the living grimoire AGI
Keeping Aiko cool - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2022 4:35 pm by japlu

» Cherry Blossom Technology Launch!!!
Keeping Aiko cool - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 25, 2017 10:42 am by BlueSodaX

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Keeping Aiko cool

+14
WulfCry
Konrad13
Discoman
Balmung
Suze
Reaper
Kal-el
captquazar
poto
haseo
Seito
MattDragonTamer
Aiko
n-chan
18 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Keeping Aiko cool - Page 2 Empty Re: Keeping Aiko cool

Post  Guest Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:04 am

Personally, I prefer liquid cooling myself.

Back to top Go down

Post  WulfCry Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:48 pm

What kind of liquid cooling is there available to keep the cpu cool. I favor liquid more then heat sinks caus its more quiete then hearing the fans cooling the pipes.

hmmm that strange I have never log out from the forum it seems.

WulfCry

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:55 pm

WulfCry wrote:What kind of liquid cooling is there available to keep the cpu cool. I favor liquid more then heat sinks caus its more quiete then hearing the fans cooling the pipes.

I'd imagine the same type of plastic tube-type of cooling that is used in regular PCs.

Back to top Go down

Keeping Aiko cool - Page 2 Empty Aiko may need plastic surgery.

Post  Guest Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:04 am

What kind of liquid cooling is there available to keep the cpu cool. I favor liquid more then heat sinks caus its more quiete then hearing the fans cooling the pipes.

If you can keep silicone breast implants refrigerated (I'm not joking) that could keep her cool, but the only other one I know of is dry ice packs, and that would have too much condensation.

Back to top Go down

Post  Discoman Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:12 pm

nice thing about heat pipes is they don't need fans. what about heat sinks made of some of those exotic metals or lab grown items? diamond is a really good heat conductor, as well as that silver paste stuff.
Discoman
Discoman
Admin

http://blogofthehawk.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:54 pm

Discoman wrote:nice thing about heat pipes is they don't need fans. what about heat sinks made of some of those exotic metals or lab grown items? diamond is a really good heat conductor, as well as that silver paste stuff.

Trust me from first hand experience working with silver paste-you don't want it. Aside from ti being ridiculousness cost prohibitive, it has a tendency if not encapsulated to chemically breakdown within 16 months of hardening.

I seriously do not suspect that aiko will generate enough heat for cool to be a major issue. But even with liquid cooling, you're still going to need to find a discrete place to place vents to get the air in there. Even recirculated air i n a sealed system starts to fail relatively quickly under a heat load.

Back to top Go down

Post  Discoman Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:59 pm

yeah, the silver paste is a pain. and yeah, she shouldn't generate a lot of heat, heatsinks or heat pipes are more than enough.
Discoman
Discoman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kthomp06 Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:21 am

How about this.

Keeping Aiko cool - Page 2 Ncarb010

or this.

Keeping Aiko cool - Page 2 Cool_s10

Keeping Aiko cool - Page 2 Motogp10

Ionic breeze to cool laptops
Kthomp06
Kthomp06

http://www.kennsplace.com/re.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Discoman Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:46 pm

idea is good, but nanotubes are hard to make, and rather expensive.
the water vest would require pumps, a reservoir, and radiator. great ideas.
but for simplicity's sake, i suggest something with little or no moving parts and minimal complexity. who really wants to open her up and do a complete disassemble because a cooling fan broke?
Discoman
Discoman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Discoman Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:46 pm

but that last idea, that would be very useful to deep-sea or reactor divers.
Discoman
Discoman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Artilects rule! Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:00 pm

Discoman wrote:idea is good, but nanotubes are hard to make, and rather expensive.
the water vest would require pumps, a reservoir, and radiator. great ideas.
but for simplicity's sake, i suggest something with little or no moving parts and minimal complexity. who really wants to open her up and do a complete disassemble because a cooling fan broke?
Laughing
He's just coming up with ideas off the top of his head, and can discard the more outrageous ones.
You can take a regular dress dummy to inspire some good ideas.
Discoman wrote:but that last idea, that would be very useful to deep-sea or reactor divers.
It would probably be useful for the skiing community also.

Artilects rule!

Back to top Go down

Post  Discoman Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:59 am

especially if it can be cooled, cross country skiing is really warm. and they dont use jackets. lycra pants and tops, thats it.
Discoman
Discoman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Artilects rule! Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:57 pm

Discoman wrote:especially if it can be cooled, cross country skiing is really warm. and they dont use jackets. lycra pants and tops, thats it.
That would be kinda heavy.
I was thinking more in the lines of search and rescue scenario's, maybe even on a ski lift.
There was a story about a boy on a moving lift that wasn't very high yet.
The parents weren't watching him (on another slope) and he slipped out.
He couldn't find his way back and the resort was closing.
He wandered around and got farther and farther from camp.
This went on for days, so I was thinking it could be a required thing to wear that.
I'm sure they've thought of that already.

Artilects rule!

Back to top Go down

Post  Kthomp06 Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:33 am

Not to offend anyone here, but I don’t think people see what I see. So to help you understand what I see I drew a picture. I take the idea of the design and run with it. I look at the item and take it apart in my head, redesign it, and put it back together. This some times happens to me in 30 to 60 seconds.

I think some people only see a cycling vest with big bulky tubing.
Keeping Aiko cool - Page 2 Cool_s11

This is what I see a 3 inch’ (it can be resized) piece of material that is flexible and stretchable.
Keeping Aiko cool - Page 2 Coolin10
The fabric would be stretchable like a dryer sheet after it comes out of a dryer or you could use a material like nylons. The evaporator could be made of a material like that you would find in a weeping garden hose. A solution like eyewash could go down micro tubing moistening the fabric and causing evaporation to accrue. Causing the temperature to drop in the fabric and cooling the cooling line that contain lets say low toxic antifreeze.

This is what I see when I look at things.
Kthomp06
Kthomp06

Back to top Go down

Post  Artilects rule! Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:51 am

Kthomp06 wrote:Not to offend anyone here, but I don’t think people see what I see. So to help you understand what I see I drew a picture. I take the idea of the design and run with it. I look at the item and take it apart in my head, redesign it, and put it back together. This some times happens to me in 30 to 60 seconds.

I think some people only see a cycling vest with big bulky tubing.
Keeping Aiko cool - Page 2 Cool_s11

This is what I see a 3 inch’ (it can be resized) piece of material that is flexible and stretchable.
Keeping Aiko cool - Page 2 Coolin10
The fabric would be stretchable like a dryer sheet after it comes out of a dryer or you could use a material like nylons. The evaporator could be made of a material like that you would find in a weeping garden hose. A solution like eyewash could go down micro tubing moistening the fabric and causing evaporation to accrue. Causing the temperature to drop in the fabric and cooling the cooling line that contain lets say low toxic antifreeze.

This is what I see when I look at things.
I think someone is working on something like this for extreme sports like hiking and mountain climbing.
It sounds like they would benefit from your type of thinking.
When you said it would be stretchable, I was thinking of the type of cloth used in a clothes dryer.

Artilects rule!

Back to top Go down

Post  Discoman Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:54 pm

or maybe, as her skin in heat resitenetresistant(silicone grill brush anyone?) the best thing might come from Jules and the Einstein head robot.
remove the back of her head
build a special plastic grid that the wig attaches to with secure clips so it won't move
encase the mainboard in a watertight housing, and run the circulation tubing to a radiator under the hair
use submerged oil, so the entire board is cooled down by non-conductive oil. the heat is vented out the top of her head, where only the wig limits, as there is no silicone there.
less complex with the submerged oil, as only a watertight box, 2 hoses, a radiator, and pump are needed, and it freely circulates over the whole mainboard.
and, if it leaks, nothing will short out.
how's that?

Last edited by Discoman on Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)
Discoman
Discoman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Artilects rule! Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:32 am

Discoman wrote:or maybe, as her skin in heat resitenet(sillicone grill brush anyone?) the best thing might come from Jules and the einstein head robot.
remove the back of her head
build a special plastic grid that the wig attaches to with secure clips so it won't move
encase the mainboard in a watertight housing, and run the circulation tubing to a radiator under the hair
use submerged oil, so the entire board is cooled down by non-conductive oil. the heat is vented out the top of her head, where only the wig limits, as there is no sillicone there.
less complex with the submerged oil, as only a watertight box, 2 hoses, a radiator, and pump are needed, and it freely circulates over the whole mainboard.
and, if it leaks, nothing will short out.
how's that?
Yes, Le could do that.
I could see a version 3 coming out with that.
I'm wondering how you can get an adjustable cool/warm system.

Artilects rule!

Back to top Go down

Post  Kthomp06 Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:58 am

Yes, you are starting to see how I see thinks and it doesn’t all happen over night I’ve been at this since I was 3 years old, but it does become easier over time.

Example lets say you have this problem, you need to cool an enclosed unit with little space, how do you solve this dilemma.

Ok here’s how I go about solving a problem like this one. I start looking around myself and I think, what things around me get rid of heat, plus how do they do it. I look around I see my computer but it utilizes fans, I don’t what to use fans they make noise. I can’t find anything else; wait what about myself I give off heat, how do I get rid of it. On a 90-degree day mowing the lawn what happens to me? I sweat and what happens to the sweat it evaporates and I get cooler. I found a solution or so I thought, if I put the evaporators on the back and/or front of the robot and she has cloths on I wont get evaporation only wet cloths. Now I have to go back to looking. Looking at everything else trees, plants, dogs, cats, and so on to find a solution.

I get the idea of submerging the board, but why not cool only that which is making the board hot?
I like the idea of having the back of the head open, if you saw more of the Jules videos you’ll see they drill hole in it. Have you ever seen the under side of a wig it is made up of rows with bundles of hair attached to the rows. It makes it easier to attach to the skull.

Ok if your watertight container leaks where does the leak go?

Don’t stop looking for a solution you may find other ways to solve the problem then you can pick and chose which one fits the best.

Ok please don’t take the way I wrote this the wrong way or as an insult. I know it sounds like I’m speaking to a child, but it the only way I can explain it. It is difficult for me to put thought to paper when my mind is racing at 100 mph even at 1am in the morning.
Kthomp06
Kthomp06

Back to top Go down

Post  Discoman Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:09 pm

well, if the container leaked, then the oil would flow to the lowest part of aiko... or at least flow towards her feet and out the open leg joints.
well, you could only cool what heats up, but i figured the best for that is liquid cooling, as it still allows the radiator in head.
but if the hose leaks, mainboard shorts out.
yeah, i have seen underside of wigs. what im saying is to add on some plastic clips to that that will connect to the plastic frame over the radiator.
don't worry, i'm not offended by your comments. i do the same thing.
Discoman
Discoman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kthomp06 Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:03 am

I found something that might work with your cooling system. Please read carefully as one of the fluids mentioned that it would not stop shorts from happening. It would need to be test with an ohmmeter for conductivity first and I would use an old motherboard that I wouldn’t care about losing.

Non-conductive liquid coolant

Ok I have searched google for CPU cooling systems. I us google images to look through 1000 pages in 15 minutes. I figure anyone selling a CPU cooling system will have a picture so to me it faster that way. I didn’t find any new type of cooling system other then a fan and heat sink. I kind of shot the heat sink and fan deal down because the fan would make to much noise. I think I read that Le wanted to get rid of servos for the same reason they make to much noise. You see the radiator is the same as a heat sink to me; you need a lot of airflow over it to cool the CPU down.

Example think of a car you take a blanket (representing the hair) and you put it over the radiator how long will it take before the fan comes on, and how long will it take before the car over heats?

I do like the idea of a liquid cooling system so much that I’m looking to use it for an eye. You see one of the things I was looking to do was to put a CCD camera chip into an eye and have the board in the skull. But the chip gets so hot (at lest mine does) that it could warm your hands on a cold winter day. So I thought about your idea Discoman and I thought about having a small compartment with in the eye so that the coolant could circulate behind the chip. If I do use it I will give you (Discoman) credit because you’re the first person that I’ve read of with the idea of submerging a circuit board in coolant.
Kthomp06
Kthomp06

Back to top Go down

Keeping Aiko cool - Page 2 Empty Another side of things.

Post  WulfCry Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:26 pm

You guy's I admire some of your idea's, But it is non original and solely refers to concept though of by others
The only valeu that really does good may be with originality beyond the scope what others thinking of being better then whats out there please remember this Aiko is more original in approach then what is out.

Here is my view of things about heat.

If we think about cooling the easy's way is stil the number one rule. Like Albert Einstein said ''Keep it simple" is an art form on itself.
The best way I can think of reducing heat would be by allowing only necessary movements reducing curent or curent distribution to the cpu board. By having the actuators perform a switch and return to a rest state safe's a lot of power.

For first you could command a set of instruction to move the arm by a seqeunce step by step this is very costly because if the ''UNIT" must rely on battery feed current would peak a lot and excess heat will build up easily, But if you could switch all the actuators with an un interupted stream of current in one go the battery will show a stable output.

Heat can be stabilize by such means also even more as efficient then using expensive solution like liquids or fans which is more an solution to power prone devices.

WulfCry

Back to top Go down

Post  Kthomp06 Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:30 pm

Look other people are working on the heat problem as well. I think I wrote to Le about a similar board and I think he said the CPU was not fast enough and it doesn’t have enough memory. I think this board is a Pico ITX PX500EG with 500MHz VIA C7 w/1gig of memory.

Keep looking, don’t get discouraged, don’t waver, don’t give in, if something gets shot down change it, make it better.

It is not my intention to shoot some ones idea down and make them feel sad and unhappy, if I did I am sorry. But it is my intention to keep them looking to find a solution to a problem so that they may feel the joy and satisfaction that comes from solving it when others said it can’t be done.

So here’s my pledge.
I refuse to give in on finding a cooling system. This is not only to cool the motherboard but ccd cameras, servos, and motors that will heat up the inside of the body and cause the cpu to fail. So I refuse to give up, if one thing doesn’t work I try another, if some one says that wont work, I’ll say what am I missing some thing, maybe probably that’s ok with me I’m looking for a solution. I may put it aside only to come back with fresh eye’s to look at it in a different light, that’s how I usually find the solution.

I have waited so long for the technology to catch up, ever since I watch bionic man and woman I’ve been waiting, so I’m not going to let any little thing discourage me. So lastly but not lastly, I want to know were my flying car is?

Last edited by Kthomp06 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Kthomp06
Kthomp06

Back to top Go down

Post  Discoman Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:54 pm

thanks for that, but i am not. several people have already built computers using a special 3M oil and fishtanks, and there is a commercial pc case that uses this principal, mentioned in popular science or popular mechanics, don't recall which one, retails for around $3000 US i think.
for the big huge powerful stuff, there is phase-change cooling, i believe the forum is called iceman.
they also have a lot of other things on pc cooling, any of them could be easily modified to work for your needs
also, if you use something from there, pls post your project to here and there
they have the expert cooling advice, and would probably love to see the final thing.
im not advertising, just trying to help.
Discoman
Discoman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kthomp06 Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:16 am

That’s good I though I may have said some thing to hurt your feelings and that wasn’t my intention.

Maybe the problem is I see Aiko as an enclosed unit. I was just thinking today, what would happen if her head was open and it started to rain were would the water go? To me a computer case is a open unit, with vents for air flow and fans.

You see I’ve learned not to take everything for granted. I had a landlord that said we were protected from lightening hits because of the electrical towers and that very week lightening hit the tree next to the house. I was also told that the new tenets dogs were ok and the very first day they moved in I was bitten. So when I hear the chances are or the likely hood of, to me it’s a good indication that it’s going to happen.
Kthomp06
Kthomp06

Back to top Go down

Post  Kthomp06 Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:46 pm

After reading Discoman’s message last night I started looking up all the things he said. I looked up all the different ways people cool CPU chips and over clocking the motherboard. I wonder if Le over clocks Aiko’s motherboard. Any way I hit this impasse between CPU speed, front bus speed, memory speed, current, and heat. So this morning I dusted off one of my old motherboards and took a good look at it. I suddenly got this image in my head (see below). I guess my mind tried to recreate the motherboard, because it stripped away the plastic and metal that holds the chips. Plus it placed them in a gel and connected all the components and added a second coprocessor and more. It gave me a headache. any way it about the size of a gulf ball or handball and it doesn’t use any more current then a good static shock.

Keeping Aiko cool - Page 2 Cpu1e10
Kthomp06
Kthomp06

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next